Title : Philip Glass – Itaipu/The Canyon. Format : Vinyl Record. Label : Music On Vinyl. Cat Num : MOVCL058. Barcode : 8719262014343.
Release Date : April 9th 2021
• 180 GRAM AUDIOPHILE VINYL
• DELUXE HEAVYWEIGHT SLEEVE WITH GLOSS LAMINATE
• PVC JACKET
• INCLUDES INSERT WITH LINERNOTES
• AVAILABLE ON VINYL FOR THE FIRST TIME
• A FOUR-MOVEMENT SYMPHONIC CANTATA, WRITTEN BY PHILIP GLASS
• COMMISIONED BY THE ATLANTA SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA AND CHORUS
• THE COMPOSITION PAYS HOMAGE TO THE WORLD’S LARGEST HYDROELECTRIC DAM, BUILT ON THE PARANÁ RIVER BETWEEN PARAGUAY AND BRAZIL
• INCLUDES PHILIP GLASS CATALOGUE WITH INFO ON THE PHILIP GLASS SERIES ON MOV, COMING IN 2020/2021
Itaipu, written by American composer Philip Glass, were commissioned by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. Along with The Light (1987), they marked Glass’s continuation of a symphonic trilogy of “portraits of nature” as he had recently turned to making orchestral music. The composition pays a beautiful homage to the Itaipu Dam, which is the world’s largest hydroelectric dam built on the Paraná River between Paraguay and Brazil. The text was written in Guaraní, and translated by Daniela Thomas. The piece was first performed in 1989. This LP also includes The Canyon on the D-side, which was first performed in 1988 and commissioned by the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra.
Itaipu and The Canyon are available on vinyl for the first time. It comes a in deluxe heavyweight sleeve with gloss laminate, and includes an insert with linernotes as well as the Philip Glass catalogue with info on the MOV Philip Glass series.